Monday, May 5, 2008

More Ship of Fools fascination

http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=011434#000017

Originally posted by Emma Louise: A friend of mine has announced she's started going to a Mormon church. My general knowledge of Mormonism is that its not regarded as "Christian" by many other churches in the UK - but I'm not entirely sure why. I think they also have another "divine revelation" (is this the Joseph Smith one?) and some rather dodgy beginings.

EL: I know I've also encountered their missionaries (very smart young boys in suits...) who tried to convert me, despite being a Christian.

EL: Anyway - I'm not really looking for a slanging match (They're Christian/no they're not etc) but a genuine question as to what the core beliefs are that mark them out as different, what have peoples impressions been etc.

EL: I got muddled up with 7th Day Adventists (they're the no coffee/alcohol/healthy living ones aren't they?) when talking to her so I've made a bit of a muddle already!!

EL: Thanks

MerlintheMad: Wow, where have you been this last week or so? ;)

MtM: Being a "Mormon" by birth, upbringing, marriage and family connections, etc., I am qualified to give you a reasonable facsimile of "An Insider's View of Mormon Origins" (that's a book, btw, by a Mormon scholar, Grant H. Palmer, and I can recommend no better place to start getting the real skinny on questions you may have).

MtM: Here'a an ironic parallel on the "Mormons aint Christian" perspective: the mainstream Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, does NOT consider the "Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" to be "Mormon", either. But the great majority of "outsiders" to either religion do consider the LDS and FLDS the same, i.e. Mormons-all

MtM: (In light of the latest insufferability manifested by some jocular denizens of The Ship, and some Hosts, this thread will now close down: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6,....)

No comments: