Monday, January 5, 2009

The Winter Wonderland Water Feature



I am keeping the water feature running through this winter. It is almost leak proofed, such that it only requires three or four 5 gallon buckets of water per day. I get up in the morning and put in a couple of buckets from the outside tap. And in the evening I put in one or two more. Lately, it has been unusually cold: 6F yesterday! Which means that without any thawing, at all, I have to break the ice two or three times a day, instead of just once first thing in the morning. Yeah, the heater I dropped in the pond today looks unsightly, but hopefully it will reduce the ice thickness, and especially keep ice away from the pump!

2 comments:

momentsthattakeyourbreathaway said...

Ah winter, very nice...

but, ADDING WATER TO IT 3 TIMES A DAY!?

We're dealing with a similar leaky situation with our fountain; our solution: fix the fountain...

MerlintheMad said...

Actually, I only add water twice a day; three 5 gallon buckets. I wonder how much is lost to evaporation and how much to leaking. But 15 gallons a day is very managable.