Sunday, September 26, 2010

"M" is for Mike

Mike Kelly, my oldest friendship - since the second grade no less. In junior high and especially high school we were slot car racers. That's when we met Rocky Russo (the annoyed guy in the video below, whose cars got broken), a great guy and generous with his toys. It was the summer of 1969. That's a long time to be friends. Over the years, I haven't seen as much of Mike as I ought to have. And such times as we have crossed paths it has been over slot cars. Last Friday Gwendolyn took a bunch of videos of us "dicing" with c. 40 year-old 1/24 scale Formula One cars: Mike was driving Rocky's '66 Ferrari; and I was driving the '67 Gurney Eagle. The '67 BRM was driven by the guy with the backwards hat; his name is Luke, and he wins a lot, but in this "class" (old open-wheeled dinosaurs) I am competetive enough....

1 comment:

momentsthattakeyourbreathaway said...

Yes, this one shows up much better than the Youtube version...

Here's the comment I posted there:

Ah the memories...

Those cars are going really fast! Amazing... I don't remember them going so fast...

I didn't even know that my dad had a friend since the second grade. I also don't think I've ever met him... So I'm assuming that he's the guy in the red shirt... with the mustache.

I also hadn't seen Rocky in a while. He hasn't changed much, just grayer...

Thanks for sharing.